Jo Ann Rodriguez Memorial Scholarship
This Scholarship was established by the Rodriguez family to invest in women who have demonstrated outstanding potential in the field of Business Accounting.
The Jo Ann Rodriguez Memorial Scholarship is named for an extraordinary member of the Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley who passed away in 2019 following a brave fight with COPD. Jo Ann was passionate about her chosen profession of accounting. She did not attend college, but she took advantage of invaluable opportunities after graduating high school which enabled her to learn through experience. From the earliest days she demonstrated a natural gift with numbers and cash management, and coupled with her innate organizational skills, she quickly moved up the corporate ladder to become CFO, the only woman on the Klune Industries’ executive team. She joined Zonta SCV in 1999 when she graced the club with her natural leadership talents as a two-time president, parliamentarian, District 9 Treasurer, volunteer and chair of the Healthy Kids Club for many years, and more.
Not every young woman with a talent for numbers has the resources or contacts to “learn through experience” as Jo Ann did. Her family has generously funded a Zonta scholarship for a deserving female student studying Business Accounting, so that she might create a lucrative career for herself and achieve success despite her economic or social situation. Jo Ann’s name will be remembered for many years, and the recipients of her scholarship will flourish through its assistance.
Jo Ann leaves behind a legacy of encouraging women to achieve their full potential. Jo Ann was hardworking, elegant, thoughtful and had a sharp sense of humor. She took the time to speak kindly and intelligently but more importantly she sincerely listened. Recognized for her abilities to bring out the best in others, Jo Ann’s talents and warm personality will be memorialized through the recipient of this scholarship.
Jo Ann Rodriguez Memorial Scholarship is awarded to women undertaking Business Accounting studies who have demonstrated outstanding potential in the field. Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley offers scholarships of US $1,000.00
Who is Eligible?
Women of any age, who are pursuing a business accounting degree and demonstrate outstanding potential in the accounting field.
All applicants must be residents of Santa Clarita Valley area, enrolled in a business accounting program, in their second year, and have completed 24 units with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Online students are also eligible to apply.
Club members and individuals with direct membership with Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley, their family members (including adoptees, siblings, grandparents, aunt/uncle, nieces or cousins, and those of their spouse or co-habiting partner), are not eligible to apply for the Scholarship. Members of Golden Z Clubs are eligible for this scholarship.
What are the requirements?
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Completion of the official application.
- All applicants must be residents of Santa Clarita Valley area, enrolled in a business accounting program, in their second year, and have 24 units with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Online students are also eligible to apply.
- Must submit the Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley Verification of Current Enrollment form with application materials. Acceptance letters are not verification of enrollment and will not be accepted. Two recommendations from adults, not related to the applicant, such as teachers, school officials/employee supervisors or community leaders, must be sent directly to the Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley and not through the applicant.
- Achieved an outstanding academic record during her academic studies, including business subjects.
- Demonstrated initiative, ambition and commitment to pursuing a career in business accounting.