Workshop - May 21, 2022
Reading Resources to Strengthen Your Child’s Reading Skills
In this workshop you will learn about:
- Teacher recommended resources to improve reading skills
- Effective and fun games to improve reading skills
- How to find books that get your child excited about reading
- Best practices and routines for improving reading skills
- Signs of reading disorders and when to request help and testing
- Reading level testing in schools
Facilitator: Cherise Moore, Ph.D., Member, William S. Union High School District Board of Trustees, SCV Zonta Club member. Dr. Moore will engage the panel to explore supports and strategies for student reading success.
Susan Bender, Highlands Elementary School Principal
Monica Ludlow, English and History Teacher, Placerita Junior High School’s Teacher Librarian
Jessica Perez, School Psychologist working with kids from K-12th
Colleen Sullivan, Resource Specialist Teacher/Special Education teacher for grades TK through 5th
LifeForward Workshops 2021-2022
The LifeForward program offers free skill-building workshop topics useful to women of varying ages and interests and others in the community, to include men, who may benefit. The workshop topics include financial education, job search, parenting and self-care. Subject Matter Experts provide their expertise, knowledge and skills to promote empowerment and self-sufficiency that address fears and concerns to provide ways for emotional adaptation to our current way of life.
LifeForward virtual workshops are continuing to be developed. Please check back regularly to check on our upcoming workshop topics and dates.
- May 21, 2022 - Reading Resources to Strengthen Your Child’s Reading Skills, Facilitated by Cherise Moore, Ph.D.; Speakers: Susan Bender, Monica Ludlow, Jessica Perez, Colleen Sullivan
- April 23, 2022 - Family Law Issues! Divorce, Child Custody & Support, James P. Reape, Esq.
- March 26, 2022 - Job Seekers! Improve Your Resume, Job Search and Interview Skills - Israel Serna, Speaker & Trainer, Grow With Google
- March 12, 2022 - How to Cook on a Budget and Eat Healthy! - Beth Heiserman, Chef
- February 12, 2022 - Master Your Money Before It Masters you! What is your mindset? - Melanie Meyer, CFP, CLU, FIC, Wealth Advisor
- January 15, 2022 - Cyberbullying - Impact on Youth - Chris Jones, Licensed Educational Psychologist
- November 13, 2021 - Holiday Success, Relax & Enjoy the Holidays as an Individual & Parent! - Tosca Stepter, MNML, BSM <Holiday Gift Ideas>
- October 30, 2021 - Empowerment! Recognize Unhealthy Relationships & Create Boundaries - Tracy Taris, L.M.F.T.
- October 9, 2021 - Communication and Relationships Skills - Be More Effective With Family, in the Workplace, and Community! - Wendy Amara, Strategy Coach
- September 25, 2021 - Challenging Emotions, Building Resilience in Traumatic Times - Michelle Witkin, Ph.D. <resource guide> <nurture list>
- September 11, 2021 - Awareness - Recognize Behaviors that Lead to Sexual Harassment - Assault - Priscilla Benites, L.M.F.T. and Alejandra Sandoval, MPH <slide deck>
- August 21, 2021 - Parenting for Success - Winning Regardless of the Unknowns! - Cassie Eads, Parent & Teen Connecting Coach <slide deck>
As we plan our workshops for the upcoming 2022-2023 year, we would love to have your input! Contact us with your workshop topic ideas!
What Participants Have Said:
The information was extremely relevant to the issues I and my family, friends are experiencing.
The most helpful concept presented is that I only am in control of myself. I also appreciated that it was emphasized to not hurt myself, not hurt others, and not break property.
Zonta thank you for these workshops & having them open to the communities.
Truly enjoyed this workshop.
The workshop was relevant to issues I am experiencing.
I look forward to these workshops! They help to ground me and keep me positive during these hard times.
I have been looking forward to this LifeForward so I can feel the energy of powerful and vibrant women being sent out into the universe. Thank you.
I feel inspired to make some healthy changes.
Much less tense than I was this morning; feel balanced.
this is my self care for the day
Thank you for an informative program
May 21st Facilitator and Featured Speaker Bios:
Cherise Moore, Ph.D., Principal TA Consultant at the American Institutes for Research; Member, William S. Union High School District Board of Trustees and member, Zonta Club of SCV. With over 30 years as an educator, community and family advocate, and building on her own experience as a parent, Dr. Moore will engage the panel in a thoughtful discussion designed to explore supports and strategies for student reading success.
Colleen Sullivan is a teacher with LAUSD since 1998. In my 24-year career, I've worked as a General Education Elementary school teacher, Title 1 Coordinator, and for the last 15 years as a Resource Specialist Teacher/Special Education teacher for grades TK through 5th. I have Multiple Subject, Educational Specialist, and Preliminary Administrative credentials. I have been trained in a variety of programs to help struggling readers, most recently, Orton Gillingham and LETRS. In my spare time, I'm raising 3 teens and 2 dogs.
Susan Bender is currently serving as the principal of Highlands Elementary School within the Saugus Union School District. Serving as the site leader has provided me with the opportunity to facilitate the opening of our district’s Spanish dual language immersion program as well as our district’s virtual academy. Previous to serving as the site principal of Highlands, I spent twelve years as the principal at Bridgeport Elementary School. On a personal note, I am the humble mother of twin 18 year-olds, who have taught me many life lessons!
Monica Ludlow grew up in Santa Clarita, studied at U.C. Riverside and Stanford University, and has been an educator for twenty-six years. She has taught English and history, and now has the honor of serving as Placerita Junior High School’s Teacher Librarian. She loves discussing literature with students and connecting them with their next favorite books. In her free time, she enjoys reading historical fiction and traveling with her husband, two sons, and golden retriever.
A Special Thank You To Our Speakers:
Priscilla Benites, L.M.F.T.
Alejandra Sandoval, MPH
Michelle Witkin, Ph.D.
Wendy Amara, Strategy Coach
Tosca Stepter, MNML, BSM
Melanie Meyer, CFP, CLU, FIC, Wealth Advisor
Beth Heiserman, Chef
James P. Reape, Esq.
Cherise Moore, Ph.D.
A Special Thank You To Our LifeForward Sponsors:
Check Out Our Videos of Past Workshops!
2021-2022 - Video Library:
Sept 2021: Challenging Emotions, Building Resilience in Traumatic Times
Oct 2021: Communication and Relationship Skills - Be More Effective with Family, in the Workplace, and Community!
Oct 2021: Empowerment! Recognize Unhealthy Relationships & Create Boundaries
Nov 2021: Holiday Success, Relax & Enjoy the Holidays as an Individual & Parent!
Jan 2022: Cyberbullying - Impact on Youth
Feb 2022: Master Your Money Before it Masters You!
March 2022: How to Cook on a Budget and Eat Healthy!
March 2022: Job Seekers! Improve your Resume, Job Search and Interview Skills
Past Workshops 2020-2021 - Video Library:
Oct. 2020: Mindfulness, Moving Forward and Self-Care
Nov. 2020: How to Create Success-Not Stress During this 2020 Holiday Season
Jan. 2021: Understanding and Filing Your Taxes: Understand the Basics
Jan. 2021: You're the Boss of Your Money! Make it Work for You
Feb. 2021: You Have a Business Idea - Now What?
Mar. 2021: Single Parenting Success, It Takes a Village and a Whole Lot More
April 2021: Divorce & Family Law Issues! Child Custody & Sources of Child Support
May 2021: Challenges of Motherhood, Recognize Inner Wisdom & Improve Relationships
May 2021: You Are Not Alone! The Impact of Covid-19 on Society and the Individual
May 2021: Creating Boundaries with Confidence & Empowerment!